President’s Leadership in Action Academy
- The PLAA is to be established in spring 2014 as a professional development opportunity for aspiring leaders.
- The Academy replaces the EKU Academic Administrative Internship Program for Women and Minorities. EKU continues to support diversity in this new initiative.
- The Academy is offered on a one-year cycle; first class will begin in fall 2014.
- The Academy will typically have up to 10 participants each year, but may be expanded at the discretion of the President.
- For faculty participants, the Academy will not offer release/reassigned or supplemental pay for participating. Staff participants will not receive supplemental pay; however, attendance at regularly scheduled meetings will be considered time worked.
Participants in the 2015 Leadership Academy:
Michelyn Wilson Bhandari
Kim Merritt (Memorial Member)
2014 Leadership Academy Presentations:
- End of Year Participant Video
- Student Success: Closing the Gaps
- Eastern Rising: The EKU Colonel Scholars Academy
- Culture Eats Strategy for Breakfast
Academy Participants have the opportunity to:
- participate in quality professional development experiences;
- increase their awareness of the complexity of issues facing the University and postsecondary education in general;
- expand their understanding of the environment in which University decisions are made;
- develop and implement a solution to a challenge faced by the University through a cohort project;
- put leadership into action through an internship;
- serve as program mentors with subsequent classes, putting leadership into action; and
- serve, as Academy alumni, on and/or lead internal and external committees related to University.
- The PLAA is open to faculty and staff exhibiting the potential for effective leadership and career advancement.
- Candidates must be willing to commit to consistent participation, which is necessary to maximize learning and the success of Academy.
Nomination and Selection
- Candidates may be nominated or may self-nominate using the Nomination and Application Form. In all cases, the candidates must have the approval of their supervisors and the appropriate Dean/Vice President.
- Nominating materials will be received by mid-February; applications will be reviewed no later than the end of March; and successful candidates of the cohort will be notified by the first part of April.
- Applicants will be chosen based upon review of applications and interviews conducted by the President’s Leadership in Action Academy Steering Committee. The standing University Committee will consist of ex officio members (Special Assistant to the President, a Dean, and the Executive Director of Human Resources) and two appointed members of the community.